"A wise and frugal government which shall restrain men
from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government."
(Thomas Jefferson)


Monday, July 30, 2012

Vote for the Best Candidate, not the Party

Took the day off from the blog to go to a meeting on a local race where I am supporting the Democrat over the Republican conscientious objector who twice declared CO status to keep from being deployed with the OK National Guard so he didn't interrupt his college.  A good friend of my daughter's was deployed during that same time frame which interrupted his Journalism college degree program but you didn't see him trying to get out of serving.

My family has a long history of people serving in the military and fighting for our Country starting with the Revolutionary War, Civil War, WWI where my grandfather was gassed in Europe and died when my Dad was five years old, WWII where my Dad fought in Europe along with four uncles in the military, Korean War where my husband and my Uncle fought.  My husband turned 18 on the ship going to Korea.  Lost several friends in the Vietnam War.   In Gulf War I we knew a lot of people serving including a former Lt we had adopted when he worked for my husband at Wright-Patterson waiting for pilot training.  Saw him on the news that first night flying an F-4.  In the current Iraq/Afghanistan theater of war, my son-in-law who retired several years ago from the Navy was deployed to Sicily and flew out of there on missions.  My daughter who served a tour in the Navy was also stationed in Sicily for the naval operations which were ongoing in Iraq and Afghanistan so we come from a long line of military plus my husband and I both were civil service for the Air Force.

In this year's upcoming election, do America a favor and vote for the best candidate not the Party.  It is time to send notices to both major parties at all levels that they cannot routinely count on our vote as they have to earn it with good, solid candidates.

No comments: