"A wise and frugal government which shall restrain men
from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government."
(Thomas Jefferson)


Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day

Today families across America are celebrating Father's Day as a chance to say thank you to the Dads and all they do for their children.

My brother and I were lucky to have a very special Dad who always had time for us. He loved squirt gun fights that turned into a bucket fight and finished with hoses on a hot summer day and all of us drenched. When Dad was working around the house, I used to be in charge of taking him ice cold water when he took a break and more than once the second glass of water ended up on me with both of us laughing. He taught us so much and today both of us do a lot of work around our own homes.

Every summer he would sit outside in the afternoon on weekends listening to the Cincinnati Reds games. That is what my children remember the most -- Grandpa sitting outside in his lawn chair listening to the Reds. My son would sit right there on his lap when we were visiting listening to the games with him. My son is still a huge Reds fan today. He also uses a lot of the same words when watching games my Dad always used. Today his young son sits next to him watching baseball. I am so proud of my son and the Dad he is to his son. See so much of my Dad in him and so did my Mom. Dad was a great role model


Dad was a huge sports fan which I inherited and passed on to my son. One Saturday when my husband and I stopped at my parents, the TV was on with a football game and my husband finally asked why the sound on the TV was off from the game. Had to explain that Dad was listening to Ohio State on the radio and watching a different game with the sound turned down. That was our Dad!

Happy Father's Day!


No comments: